Frozen Orbit is a Destiny 2 sniper rifle that has risen to prominence with the release of the game’s thirteenth season, Season of the Chosen. The developer took away a lot of weapons with this season. However, one side-effect is that this one, Frozen Orbit, has become a cut above the rest. In this guide, we’ll explain how to get the sniper rifle, why you need it, and what makes it so fantastic.
How to Pick up Frozen Orbit
The only way to get this sniper rifle in Destiny 2 is by playing Crucible. This is the game’s PvP element, and it’s not for everyone. There are a couple of ways to earn the weapon through this area. Let’s explore those now.
The first method is pretty obvious. All you have to do is play matches in the Crucible until the weapon drops. It sounds simple, but many players don’t even do this. You’ll get rewards for completing the daily and weekly challenges by doing this too.
Every time you finish a match, you’ll increase your Crucible reputation. Each time you move up a new rank, you’ll get a reward. This sniper rifle could drop with one of these rank increases.
In addition, you should be taking on bounties for the Crucible while playing matches. They’ll further increase your rank, and could drop the weapon as a reward too.
When completing Crucible matches, you’ll get tokens. You can trade these in with Lord Shaxx for a Crucible package. These are great, because you can get loads in a short space of time. They’re worth collecting because you never know what you’ll end up getting for a reward.
What is Frozen Orbit?
So now you know how to get this weapon, but what makes it so special? With the removal of so many other weapons, it’s become the best sniper rifle in the game. It has a rounds per minute fire rate of 72. This is the best in the game for an energy sniper rifle. That’s why everyone wants it.
To top things off, it can drop with an insane range of perks. We’ll cover the stats and perks next.
- Impact – 90
- Range – 75
- Stability – 43
- Handling – 24
- Reload Speed – 19
- Rounds Per Minute – 72
- Magazine – 4
- Aim Assistance – 48
- Inventory Size – 45
- Recoil Direction – 75
- Zoom – 50
What follows is the extreme range of perks you can get in Trait Slots 1 and 2 with Frozen Orbit.
Trait Slot 1 Options
- Clown Cartridge – The weapon will be randomly overloaded when reloaded.
- Surplus – Every fully charged ability increases reload speed, stability, and handling.
- Outlaw – Reload time is greatly decreased with precision kills.
- Genesis – The magazine reloads from reserves when you break an opponent’s shield using it. You’ll regenerate ammo when using the weapon against enemies with a Void shield as well.
- Killing Wind – A short duration of increased handling, mobility, and weapon range is granted with final blows.
- No Distractions – Flinch is reduced for a short time reduced your flinching.
- Auto-Loading Holster – The weapon will be automatically reloaded after being holstered for a short period of time.
- Load from Gold – This weapon will get ammo with every heavy ammo pickup.
- Triple Tap – You’ll get one round added to the magazine when landing rapid precision hits.
- Moving Target – When you move whilst aiming down sights, you’ll gain increased target acquisition and movement speed.
- Ambitious Assassin – Your magazine will be overloaded when you reload based on the number of rapid kills you’ve made.
- Firmly Planted – When aiming and firing while crouched, you’ll gain increased handling, stability, and accuracy.
Trait Slot 2 Options
- Multikill Clip – You’ll get increased damage from reloading based on the number of rapid kills made with the last magazine.
- Wellspring – All uncharged abilities gain ability energy with kills from this weapon.
- Thresh – Kills with this weapon generates a small amount of super energy for you.
- Demolitionist – Kills with this weapon will grant grenade energy. The weapon will be reloaded from reserves when you use your grenade.
- Kill Clip – Gain increased damage by reloading straight after a kill.
- High-Impact Reserves – You deal more damage with the last few rounds in your magazine.
- Vorpal Weapon – Gain increased damage against vehicles, bosses, and any enemy players with their super active.
- Box Breathing – Aiming with this weapon for a short period of time without firing will grant a bonus to range and precision damage. This resets once you’ve fired.
- Dragonfly – Any precision kills create an elemental explosion.
- Opening Shot – The opening shot of your attack has improved accuracy and range.
- Snapshot Sights – Aiming down your sights is much faster with this weapon.
- Quickdraw – Drawing this weapon is unbelievably fast.
There are a few combinations of these perks that would make for a very interesting sniper rifle. For example, Triple Tap and Dragonfly would be an explosive and rewarding synergy. For every three precision kills, you get a bullet back. Combine that with the damage from the elemental explosions caused by Dragonfly, and you might be getting three precision kills per shot and more ammo because of it.
If you just need more time to aim, No Distractions and Box Breathing are great. This will give you all the time you need to line up the perfect shot and make it count.
Genesis and Demolitionist would be an intersting combination. You get more ammo when attacking enemies with Void shields, and you can then reload your weapon by using your grenade. If you love using your grenades, this is a great way to help that support your weapon.
Lead from Gold and Vorpal Weapon is a combination made for bosses. There’s always more heavy ammo around them, so you’ll be getting more ammo for the snipe rifle as a result. combine that will added damage against the boss, and you’ve got a pretty powerful combination.
Finally, Triple Tap and High-Impact Reserves could work nicely. Since you’ll only be getting one bullet per three precision kills, that bullet will always be dealing more damage. You could seriously mess up a boss with this.
That’s all there is to know about Frozen Orbit. Let us know what you think of it in the comments. Now you know about it, why not check out Bottom Dollar too?